Burning stove embers may have caused rural home blaze
River Falls firefighters were sent to a house fire at 83 170th St., town of Pleasant Valley, at 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 5. The homeowner, James S. Freeman, called the fire in after returning home from doing errands.
Arriving firefighters found heavy smoke and intense heat in the house. Fire Chief Scott Nelson says the fire inside was put under control in less than a half hour.
Firefighters stayed for another hour to extinguish hard-to-reach spot flames.
Nelson said it appeared the blaze had smoldered in the house for some time before firefighters arrived.
In all, 24 River Falls firefighters battled the interior blaze. Roberts Fire responded to help provide water if needed.
River Falls Ambulance and the St. Croix Sheriff’s deputies also provided support.
Nelson said there were “no firefighter or civilian injuries.”
The initial damage estimate for the house and its contents is $175,000.
Authorities say the fire was accidental, likely caused by burning embers that fell from the wood stove.