Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Students and staff evacuated Somerset High School last Wednesday afternoon when a SMART Board shorted out, and caused a fire in one of the building's classrooms.

Fire causes SHS students, staff to briefly evacuate last week

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
education New Richmond,Wisconsin 54017 http://www.newrichmond-news.com/sites/default/files/styles/square_300/public/fieldimages/20/0613/3som-shsfire1pix15.jpg?itok=oc5VX19Z
New Richmond News
715-246-7117 customer support
Fire causes SHS students, staff to briefly evacuate last week
New Richmond Wisconsin 127 South Knowles Avenue 54017

Students and staff evacuated Somerset High School last Wednesday afternoon when a SMART Board shorted out, and caused a fire in one of the building's classrooms.

Advertisement
Advertisement

District Administrator Randy Rosburg said melted plastic from the SMART Board caused a fire and damaged the classroom wall and carpet.

As of Monday, Rosburg said no damage estimates from the blaze had yet to be determined. The classroom has been cleaned, however, and is in use.

All students and staff safely evacuated to the middle school while the school was ventilated to clear the smoke.

New Richmond, St. Joseph and Somerset Fire responded to the incident.

Advertisement
news@newrichmond-news.com
Advertisement
Advertisement