Gas leak evacuates Lowrey Hotel
New Richmond Fire & Rescue crews responded to a report of a gas leak at a downtown business just before 8 a.m. on Monday morning.
According to Fire Chief Jim Vander Wyst, a person believed there was a major gas leak at the Lowrey Hotel (116 W. Thrid St.) because he or she could hear gas flowing and the dials on the meter were spinning rapidly.
"I arrived on the scene and verified the condition, and then shut off the gas to the building and the flow of gas stopped," Vander Wyst told the News via email. "The crews arrived and we evacuated the building and entered the basement area and began to check for natural gas, however, no gas was found at any levels."
Xcel Energy was called and when workers arrived at the scene they verified that no gas was in the building.