Man, child escape burning house
A St. Croix County man and his five-year-old daughter were injured Thursday when they jumped from a second story window as fire engulfed their home.
Joe Koscinski was in fair condition at Regions Hospital in St. Paul as of late Friday afternoon. His daughter Alex, 5, is hospitalized at Baldwin Area Medical Center.
The fire was reported to the St. Croix County emergency dispatch center at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 13.
The rental house at 1055 County Road D, Woodville, is a total loss, according to the St. Croix Valley Chapter Red Cross.
Tanya Koscinski and her 4-year-old daughter were not home when the fire started but came home to find the house on fire. By that time, the man and the older daughter were out of the building.
The family's two pet dogs died in the fire, but a cat survived.
"The Red Cross is helping with their immediate emergency needs," said St. Croix Valley Chapter Emergency Services Director Anne McNamara Friday.
The Red Cross will provide emergency lodging, food and clothing to the family and a disaster nurse has visited with them to offer emotional support and medical supplies or equipment if needed, said McNamara
She added, "There is a big myth that people think it can never happen to them so it can be a very big shock when it does happen."
Firefighters and emergency services personnel from Woodville, Spring Valley, Baldwin, Glenwood City, Roberts and Hammond assisted at the scene.
A fund to help the family has been set up at WESTconsin Credit Union, 860 Cedar St., Baldwin.
For further information, please contact the American Red Cross St. Croix Valley Chapter at 651-439-0031.