Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Smoking materials may be cause of Menomonie fire that killed one

Email

Menomonie's fire chief said a fatal house fire was an accident and it was probably caused by smoking materials.

John Vancil, 53, died from smoke inhalation and his dog was also killed. The blaze occurred on Monday and officials said it might have burned for some time before a neighbor saw it and called 911.

Fire chief Jack Baus there was evidence that cigarette smoking was taking place in the house and other causes have been ruled out.

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet? https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=40&event=subscriber/lookup.

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at subscriberservices@forumcomm.com and we can help you.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement