Somerset sends 21 to state forensics
Somerset High School Forensics team members will hear cheers and applause from their fellow students at a pep fest in their honor April 11 before they head to Madison to compete at the state level Saturday, April 12.
Twenty-one students who competed at the Wisconsin High School Forensics Association district tournament at Menomonie High School March 22 advanced to the state competition, to be held at UW-Madison.
“They’re a really young team, so I was so excited,” said Carolyn Spoerl, Somerset High School English teacher and forensics advisor of the team’s success. “Their hard work paid off.”
Spoerl, who has advised the team for two years, said the roster of 30 students doubled in size from last year. She credits the senior captains, Natalie Van Dam and Carrie Kulibert, with getting the word out about the team.
“We have a good mix of students, with a lot of sophomores this year,” Spoerl said. “Their strong points are their originality and confidence. They really put themselves out there.”
Spoerl said while in Madison, students will have the chance to explore the UW campus, State Street and the famed farmer’s market.
As for preparation, the students will work hard the next week polishing their pieces and “not laughing while doing pieces,” Spoerl said with a chuckle.
Spoerl is assisted by Spanish instructor Sara Turner, who helps students practice and attends meets.
Students will compete in the following categories at the state competition:
- Play Acting: Mitchel Hosley, Christopher Haglund, Braeden Lange-Green - Batman
Danielle Anderson, Quinn Perro, Toni Reyes - Elevator
Kendall Isaacson, Briggan Harris, Sydney Nelson - Bag Ladies
Autumn McMeeken, Max McMeeken - Dead Parrot
- Solo Acting: Emily Colombo - Multiple Personality Murder
- Farrago: Kylie Anderson - Society; Maggie Becher - Cycle of Bravery
- Poetry: Nikki Quaderer - Loneliness; Hannah Erickson - Love
- Prose: Natalie Van Dam - Divergent; Carrie Kulibert - Code Name Verity; Sydney Branom - Dear Bullies; Elsie Shartin-Folkert - Looking for Alaska
- Moments in History: Cade Colbeth - Star Wars