A valuable community asset; Somerset food pantry to stay
The Somerset Community Food Pantry is well on its way to becoming a reality, thanks to hard work and dedication.
When Salvation Army Grace Place shelter moves to New Richmond this fall, there would no longer be a food shelf operating in Somerset. A group of community members, working under the umbrella of the Somerset Community Foundation, is committed to keeping a food pantry in the Somerset School District.
According to district administrator and SCF member Randy Rosburg, progress of transitioning the Grace Place food shelf to the SCFP includes the following:
- Attorney Angel Maack will begin the process of drafting and submitting a 501(c)(3) to make the new food pantry an independent nonprofit organization.
- Members of the committee will soon submit grant requests to gain funding for operational expenses for the first year.
- Jean Wendt has volunteered to organize and lead the transition from the Grace Place Food Shelf to the SCFP. She will meet with Duana Bremer and Lori Scheder of Salvation Army/Grace Place to learn how to operate a food pantry, create current job descriptions, plan for training and schedule volunteers.
- Three community members have volunteered to help run the pantry.
- Rosburg is looking for a space in Somerset village limits to house the pantry. The pantry will remain at its current location in the St. Anne former convent on Church Hill Road until the end of the year. The space needs to have a loading dock, 500 to 800 square feet and be available for rent, lease, purchase or free as a tax writeoff for the business or person who donates the property.
- John Coughlin of the United Way said the organization will provide the current lease payment until the end of September.
- Bremer and Scheder will provide general operational oversight for the SCFP as it begins (for a reasonable time period) and allow the SCFP the use of their 501(c)(3) until one is established for the SCFP.
Anyone caring to volunteer or offer information on a building location available for the SCFP may contact Rosburg at 715-247-3313 ext. 510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next SCFP meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, May 12, at the Somerset School District Office conference room.