School Board Proceedings
New Richmond District
New Richmond, Wisconsin
Superintendent: Morrie Veilleux
Director of Fiscal & Building Operations: Brian Johnston
President: Rick Hinz Treasurer: Marty Wold
Vice President: Greg Gartner Clerk: Chris Skoglund
Marilyn Duerst Dr. Neal Melby Bryan Schafer
official proceedings of the board of education
regular School District Office Community Room
Board meeting July 21, 2008
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by President Hinz in accordance with notice given the New Richmond News and WIXK Radio.
Board Members Present: Marilyn Duerst, Greg Gartner, Rick Hinz, Bryan Schafer, Chris Skoglund, Marty Wold
Board Members Absent: Neal Melby (arrived at 7:25 p.m.)
Administration Present: Morrie Veilleux, Brian Johnston, Greg Gentle, Sue Curtis, Bob Parent
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
Additions to the agenda included:
Consent Agenda – Hire of Wendy Marek, Elementary art teacher and the hire of Tricia Turner, Paperjack Elementary music teacher;
Bryan Schafer made a motion to approve the agenda with the additions. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Monthly Bill Auditing
Brian Johnston, Director of Fiscal and Building Operations met with Rick Hinz before the regular meeting. They reviewed the monthly bills and found everything in order.
Appointments, Reassignments, Resignations, Compensation, Adjustments; Approval of Monthly Bills; Approval of Minutes; Grant/Gift Approvals
• Resignation of Amber Johnson from 1.0 high school language arts teaching position as requested in memo dated 7/14/08;
• Resignation from extra-curricular positions of Trent Bennig from high school technology coordinator position, Barb Peterson from specialist team leader position at Paperjack Elementary, Linda Sislo from special services team leader position at Paperjack Elementary, Sue Swanson from third grade team leader position at Paperjack Elementary, Julie White from building computer coordinator at Paperjack Elementary;
• Hire of Christine Cunningham to additional health aide position at Starr Elementary;
• Hire of Lisa Frank to replacement 1.0 FTE library media specialist position at Starr Elementary at MA+45 Step 7 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Kathryn Geissler to replacement 1.0 FTE 8th grade science teaching position at the Middle School at BA-0 Step 3 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Nathan Kirkman to replacement 1.0 FTE guidance counselor position at Hillside Elementary and Starr Elementary at MA+00 Step 1 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Jessica Mitchell to additional .5 FTE physical education teaching position at Hillside Elementary and Starr Elementary at BA+0 Step 1 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Angela Otradovec to replacement .5 FTE elementary special services position at Starr Elementary and .5 FTE secondary special services position at the High School at MA+15 Step 7 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Ryan Schradle to replacement 1.0 FTE 7th grade math teaching position at the Middle School at MA+0 Step 4 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Maureen Sondreal to additional 1.0 FTE speech/language pathologist position at MA+0 Step 2 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Heather Thoe to replacement 1.0 FTE 6th grade math teaching position at the Middle School at BA+8 Step 3 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Wendy Marek to replacement 1.0 FTE art teaching position at BA+22 Step 6 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Tricia Turner to additional .5 FTE elementary music teaching position at Paperjack Elementary at BA+00 Step 1 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire to extra-curricular positions for the 2008-2009 school year of Ken Bessac to .4 vocational department head, Rachel Sauvola to .6 vocational department head, Frank Norton to Middle School wrestling coach;
• Reassignment of Beth Kelly from .7 FTE High School transition teacher to .5 FTE High School transition teacher for the 2008-2009 school year; additional .5 FTE replacement High School special services teaching position for Beth Kelly for the 2008-2009 school year; transfer of Jamie Knutson from 1.0 FTE High School special services teaching position to 1.0 FTE Hillside Elementary special services teaching position for the 2008-2009 school year; transfer of Bill Knutson from 1.0 FTE 6th grade math teaching position to 1.0 FTE 5th grade teaching position at Hillside Elementary for the 2008-2009 school year; transfer of Jane Peterson from .91 FTE Paperjack Elementary secretary to .91 FTE Middle School secretary for the 2008-2009 school year; reassignment of Linda Utter from 2.75 hours/day server/cashier at the High School to 5.5 hours/day server/cashier at the high school;
• Contract adjustment for Anna Bauer, third grade teacher from a BA+22 Step 4 to MA+00 Step 4 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Contract adjustment for Anne Dahl, High School Spanish teacher from .67 FTE to .83 FTE for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Extra-curricular contract adjustments for Lori Klingler Middle School volleyball coach from Step 5 to Step 11, 1% salary increase for Danette Tellijohn High School forensics assistant coach, 1% salary increase for Ryan Unger assistant High School hockey coach;
• Monthly bills for June/July in the amount of $1,112,026.54 and construction account checks in the amount of $2,790,818.78;
• Minutes of previous school board meetings (June 16, 2008 Regular Board Meeting, July 1, 2008 Board Work Session);
• Approval of the AnnMarie Foundation Middle School Technology Education grant in the amount of $2,800.00;
• Approval of the donation of $1,000 from Bremer Bank for two $500 scholarships;
Chris Skoglund made a motion to approve consent agenda items as presented. Bryan Schafer seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Appointments, Reassignments, Resignations, Adjustments
• Approval of Additional Special Services Teacher Assistant Positions for 2008-2009
Chris Skoglund made a motion to approve eight three-hour teacher assistant positions utilizing up to 15% of IDEA Entitlement funds for the 2008-2009 school year as presented in the document dated 7/21/2008. Marilyn Duerst seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
• Approval of District Administrator's Contract
Greg Gartner made a motion to approve the 2008-2010 contract for the School District of New Richmond's District Administrator as outlined and assigned in the document dated 7/14/2008. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
FACILITIES AND TRANSPORTATION
School Facilities Construction Project
Hillside Elementary Project
• Approval of Change Orders
Bryan Schafer made a motion to approve the following change orders for Hillside Elementary: PCO #46 – Steenberg Watrud Construction LLC with an increase of $2,700.00; PCO # 63 – Steenberg Watrud Construction LLC with a decrease of $99,358.00. Marty Wold seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Starr Elementary Project
• Approval of Change Orders
Marty Wold made a motion to approve the following change order for Starr Elementary: PCO #5 – Northern Glass & Glazing, Inc. with an increase of $3,252.00. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
High School Project
• Approval of Change Orders
Marty Wold made a motion to approve the following change orders for the high school project: PCO #1 – S. G. O. Roofing & Construction, LLC with a decrease of $215,256.00; PCO #2 – Hanson Masonry & Concrete, LLC with a decrease of $466,350.00; PCO #3 – Hanson Masonry & Concrete, LLC with an increase of $412,510.00. Marilyn Duerst seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Neal Melby arrived at 7:25 p.m.
High School Electrical Services
The Board discussed a letter received from the New Richmond Utilities Commission President regarding the decision to go with St. Croix Electric Cooperative for electrical service at the High School. The Board supports the decision made and Morrie Veilleux will write a letter of response to the city. The Board also decided not to pursue signing a resolution reaffirming St. Croix Electric Cooperative as the electric supplier for the High School.
Richmond Way Project
• Construction Progress Report
Board members were provided with updates on the progress of the roadway to Hillside Elementary and the new High School.
POLICY AND PLANNING
Review of Board Goals
The Board reviewed the 2007-2008 Board Goals and Action Plan document.
Long-Range Facility and Maintenance Report
Bob Parent, Supervisor of Building & Grounds and Brian Johnston presented the annual review on the district facilities and the maintenance costs.
DISTRICT Administrator's REPORT
The food service employees voted 11-4 in favor of representation by the Teamsters. A committee will need to be added for this group.
Schedule Work Session
A work session was scheduled for August 4, 2008. The Board will meet at Hillside Elementary for a walk-thru and then return to the District Office for the rest of the meeting.
Hudson Student Apologies – Aaron Ludgatis, Ben Luehrs, Peter Maki and Michael Perucca
Four of the students involved in the vandalism to New Richmond school property addressed the Board and publicly apologized as part of their court-ordered obligation.
Director of Curriculum & Instruction Vacancy Discussion
District Administrator Morrie Veilleux discussed the posting of the Director of Curriculum & Instruction position with the Board.
Requests for Additions/Changes to the Extra-Curricular Schedule
The Board discussed the request from Middle School Assistant Principal Michele Wood asking that six of the Middle School coaching positions be added to the salary schedule. They also discussed a request from Deb Heyerdahl for eight additional department heads.
Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB) Report – (Skoglund)
WASB representative, Chris Skoglund, informed the Board of the upcoming Employment and Law Seminar that will be held September 19th in Madison and October 3rd in Wausau.
CESA #11 Board Report – (Duerst)
Board Meeting Evaluation
President Hinz asked Board members to fill out the evaluation forms and leave with Julie Koop.
Marilyn Duerst moved and Neal Melby seconded a motion to adjourn to Executive Session at 8:46 p.m.
Yes – Duerst, Gartner, Hinz, Melby, Schafer, Skoglund, Wold
Motion carried 7-0.
ANTICIPATED EXECUTIVE SESSION
Adjourn to closed session pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes 19.85(1)
(a) Deliberating concerning a case which was the subject of any judicial or quasi-judicial trial or hearing before that governmental body.
• Civil Litigation
RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION & TAKE ANY NECESSARY ACTION:
The Board reconvened to open session at 9:07 p.m.
Bryan Schafer made a motion to adjourn at 9:11 p.m. Marilyn Duerst seconded the motion.
Motion carried 7-0.
Chris Skoglund, School Board Clerk