School Board Proceedings
New Richmond District
New Richmond, Wisconsin
Superintendent: Morrie Veilleux
Director of Fiscal & Building Operations: Brian Johnston
President: Rick Hinz Treasurer: Marty Wold
Vice President: Greg Gartner Clerk: Chris Skoglund
Marilyn Duerst Dr. Neal Melby Bryan Schafer
official proceedings of the board of education
regular School District Office Community Room
Board meeting August 18, 2008
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 7:06 p.m. by President Hinz in accordance with notice given the New Richmond News and WIXK Radio.
Board Members Present: Greg Gartner, Rick Hinz, Neal Melby, Bryan Schafer, Chris Skoglund, Marty Wold
Board Members Absent: Marilyn Duerst
Administration Present: Morrie Veilleux, Brian Johnston, Doug Hatch, Greg Gentle, Frank Norton, Steve Wojan, Michele Wood
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
Additions to the agenda included:
Consent Agenda – Retirement of Mary Hansen, teacher assistant; resignation of Penny Westerlund, COTA and hire of Shelley Wallander, high school food service.
Neal Melby made a motion to approve the agenda with the additions. Bryan Schafer seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
OPEN FORUM: None.
WANDA ERWIN CIVIL LITIGATION SETTLEMENT
District Administrator, Morrie Veilleux announced that a settlement had been reached between the School District and Wanda Erwin. The $50,000 settlement was paid by the insurance company with $31,000 going to Ms. Erwin and $19,000 to her attorney.
Monthly Bill Auditing
Brian Johnston, Director of Fiscal and Building Operations met with Rick Hinz before the regular meeting. They reviewed the monthly bills and found everything in order.
Approval of the Resolution for Inclusion Under the State of Wisconsin Deferred Compensation Plan
Chris Skoglund made a motion to approve the Resolution for Inclusion Under the State of Wisconsin Deferred Compensation Plan as presented in the document dated August 18, 2008. Neal Melby seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Approval of 2008-2009 Budget
Bryan Schafer made a motion to approve the proposed 2008-2009 budget as presented. Neal Melby seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Appointments, Reassignments, Resignations, Compensation, Adjustments; Approval of Monthly Bills; Approval of Minutes; Grant/Gift Approvals
• Resignation from extra-curricular positions of Rebecca Ahlbrecht from high school girls’ freshman basketball coaching position; John Pundsack from fourth grade team leader position at Paperjack Elementary; Ryan Unger from high school boys’ hockey assistant coaching position;
• Hire of Heather Boe to replacement .33 FTE family and consumer education teaching position at the high school at MA+00 Step 7 for the 2008-09 school year;
• Hire of Lori Jenderny to 1960 hours/year replacement middle school secretary position;
• Hire of Amy Karpenski to 3.5 hours/day additional food service position at Paperjack Elementary;
• Hire of Margaret Nickel to 3.5 hours/day replacement food service position at the high school;
• Hire of Pam Norton to replacement 1.0 FTE high school English teaching position at BA+15 Step 10 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Hire of Renee Steffen to 1960 hours/year additional Starr Elementary secretary position;
• Hire to extra-curricular positions for the 2008-2009 school year of Rebecca Ahlbrecht to head softball coaching position; John Ball to head baseball coaching position; Linda Reuvers to 6th grade House A team leader position; Teri Alwes to high school building technology integrator position; Jeff Ayer to high school building technology integrator position; Patty VanNevel to middle school building technology integrator position; Lori Klingler to middle school building technology integrator position; John Pundsack to Starr Elementary technology integrator position;
• Contract adjustment for Nathan Kirkman, Hillside Elementary guidance counselor, from a MA+00 Step 1 to MA+00 Step 9 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Contract adjustment for Amanda Soczka, middle school guidance counselor from MA+00 Step 1 to MA+00 Step 2 for the 2008-2009 school year;
• Retirement of Mary Hansen from teacher assistant position at the maintenance shop;•
Resignation of Penny Westerlund from COTA position;
• Hire of Shelley Wallander to 3.25 hours/day replacement food service position at the high school;
• Monthly bills for July/August in the amount of $399,560.84 and construction account checks in the amount of $3,931,964.00;
• Minutes of previous school board meetings (July 21, 2008 Regular Board Meeting, August 4, 2008 Board Work Session);
• Approval of FFA major magnitude field trip to National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, IN;
• Approval of the Parents as Partners grant application in the amount of $20,000.
Neal Melby made a motion to approve consent agenda items as presented. Bryan Schafer seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
2008-09 Enrollment Update
Hillside Elementary Principal, Frank Norton presented an update on the enrollment and section numbers for Hillside, Starr and Paperjack Elementary schools.
Principal Reports – Beginning of School Preparations
• The board was given a handout from High School Principal Jeff Moberg updating them on upcoming events for the new school year.
• Middle School Principal, Doug Hatch presented a handout to the Board with an update on the events at the Middle School
• Starr Elementary Principal, Greg Gentle’s report included:
— Teachers working with responsive classroom on August 4th-8th
— K-5 teachers met at the District Office on August 13th for a data retreat
• Paperjack Elementary Principal Steve Wojan reported on:
— Smart Boards are being installed at Paperjack
— Teacher meetings for NR4Kids begin August 25th
— A new playground will be installed at Paperjack Elementary on September 6th with the help of the community
• Hillside Elementary Principal, Frank Norton’s report included:
— Furniture for Hillside will be delivered August 25th and 26th
— Teachers will be able to come in on August 27th
— Construction is on schedule
— Open House for parents at all three elementary buildings will be on Friday, September 5th from 9-10 a.m.
— An open house for the public will be from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 6th
— A dedication of the new building will be in late September
Appointments, Reassignments, Resignations, Adjustments
• 2008-2009 Teacher Contract Adjustments for Horizontal Lane Movement
Greg Gartner made a motion to approve the 2008-2009 teacher contract adjustments for horizontal lane movement as presented in document 4.a.1. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
FACILITIES AND TRANSPORTATION
School Facilities Construction Project
Starr Elementary Project
• Construction Coordination Meeting Minutes #14 and 15
The Board was provided with minutes from the construction coordination meetings that were held July 28, 2008 and August 4, 2008.
• Approval of Change Orders
Neal Melby made a motion to approve the following change orders for Starr Elementary: PCO #11 – Northern Glass & Glazing, Inc. with a decrease of $9,638.00; PCO #14 – Simon Electric Construction Co. with a decrease of $9,075.00; PCO #16 – Baltech, Inc. with an increase of $3,800.00; PCO #17 - W. L. Streich Equipment Co., Inc. with a decrease of $6,272.00; PCO #18 – Kum-plete Decorating with an increase of $450.00; PCO #19 – George F. Cook Construction Co. with an increase of $1,292.00. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Hillside Elementary Project
• Approval of Change Orders
Neal Melby made a motion to approve the following change orders for Hillside Elementary: PCO #76 – John A. Dalsin & Son, Inc. with a decrease of $1,262.00; PCO #90 – Halverson Brothers, Inc with an increase of $6,054.00. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
High School Project
• Construction Coordination Meeting Minutes #4
The Board was provided with minutes from the construction coordination meeting that was held July 29, 2008.
• Electrical Service
The city has petitioned the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin for a declaratory rule to provide service to the new high school.
Richmond Way Project Progress Report
No update was received prior to the meeting.
Construction Management Contract Agreement Amendment #1
Chris Skoglund made a motion to approve the amendment to the contract with Bossardt Corporation dated July 22, 2008 and signed by Bossardt on July 25, 2008. Neal Melby seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
Amendment to October 30, 2007 Minutes
A motion to amend the October 30, 2007 work session minutes was made by Chris Skoglund to include the words high school master plan and high school design development. Bryan Schafer seconded the motion. Marty Wold would like to review the master plan before approving. The motion was tabled and will be brought back to the next work session for approval.
POLICY AND PLANNING
Review of Board Goals
The Board reviewed the 2007-2008 Board Goals and Action Plan document.
Approval of High School Handbook
Approval of Middle School Handbook
Approval of Elementary Handbook
Approval of Employee Handbook
Marty Wold made a motion to approve the High School Handbook, the Middle School Handbook, the Elementary Handbook and the Employee Handbook for the 2008-09 school year as presented. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
DISTRICT ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
Secretarial negotiations are scheduled for Tuesday, August 26th at 1:00 p.m. for a committee meeting. They will then meet with the secretarial group at 1:30 p.m. The committee will try to schedule a meeting with the teacher’s assistants group at 2:15 p.m.
Attorney Steve Weld has put together a couple of offers for the teachers and has contacted the mediator.
Bryan Schafer and Neal Melby volunteered to serve on the food service negotiation committee.
Schedule Work Session
A work session was scheduled for Wednesday, September 3, 2008. The Board will meet at Hillside Elementary at 6:00 p.m. for a walk-thru and then tour Starr Elementary before returning to the District Office for the rest of the meeting.
Letter of Apology from Hudson Student – Colin Courtney
Colin Courtney, one of the students involved in the vandalism to New Richmond school property is now living in Colorado. He sent an apology letter to the Board as part of his court-ordered obligation.
Approval of the AmeriCorps – Farm to School Program Grant
Bryan Schafer made a motion to approve the AmeriCorps Farm to School Program Grant as presented and that the Board will support this grant. Chris Skoglund seconded the motion. Motion carried 6-0.
2007 WASB School Board Salary Report
The District Administrator was given one copy of this report. The board secretary will send a copy to board members.
Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB) Report – (Skoglund)
Board secretary, Julie Koop will send out a copy of the salary report to board members.
CESA #11 Board Report – (Duerst)
Board Meeting Evaluation
President Hinz asked Board members to fill out the evaluation forms and leave with Julie Koop.
Neal Melby moved and Marty Wold seconded a motion to adjourn to Executive Session at 9:01 p.m.
Yes – Gartner, Hinz, Melby, Schafer, Skoglund, Wold
No – Motion carried 6-0.
ANTICIPATED EXECUTIVE SESSION
Adjourn to closed session pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes 19.85(1)
(a) Deliberating concerning a case which was the subject of any judicial or quasi-judicial trial or hearing before that governmental body.
• Notice of Claim – Potential Civil Litigation
(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which a governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.
• District Administrator Evaluation
• Review of Administrative Staff Evaluations
(f) Considering disciplinary data of specific persons, if discussed in public, would be likely to have a substantial adverse effect upon the reputation of any person referred to in such histories or data
• Previous Student Expulsion Matter
RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION & TAKE ANY NECESSARY ACTION:
The Board reconvened to open session at 10:13 p.m.
Marty Wold made a motion to adjourn at 10:14 p.m. Bryan Schafer seconded the motion.
Motion carried 6-0.
Chris Skoglund, School Board Clerk