Guard unit celebrates 61 years in New RichmondNew Richmond’s National Guard unit celebrated its 61st anniversary this week. It all began in the City Council Chambers on the evening of June 8, 1950.
New Richmond’s National Guard unit celebrated its 61st anniversary this week.
It all began in the City Council Chambers on the evening of June 8, 1950.
When discussing the formation of the new unit, questions were raised if a platoon of 35 men, or a company of 100, could be organized. The unit eventually consisted of five officers and 94 enlisted men, two thirds of whom would be technicians, corporals or sergeants.
The unit would be Company B, 132nd Heavy Tank Battalion, and equipment would include five heavy tanks, two heavy two and one-half ton trucks and six jeeps. The tanks would be armed with 105 howitzers.
There was no armory in New Richmond at the time, so “drills” were held in the high school gym.
Wisconsin Army National Guard/32nd Infantry Division was not federalized by President Harry Truman for duty in the Korean War, therefore the New Richmond Unit, Co. B, 132nd Medium Tank Battalion, did not participate in the Korean War. Individuals could volunteer for active duty if they so chose.
Plans were quickly formulated for an armory. A site was selected (the southeast corner of Citizens Field), and construction took place.
The old armory is now part of The New Richmond Area Centre complex.