Energy assistance available in St. Croix CountyMore households may qualify for heating assistance this winter thanks to changes in eligibility requirements for the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program.
More households may qualify for heating assistance this winter thanks to changes in eligibility requirements for the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP).
WHEAP is a federally funded heating assistance program that can ease the energy burden faced by customers with limited financial resources.
Under the eligibility requirements, customers at or below 60 percent of the state’s median income may qualify for WHEAP assistance, including:
• A single person earning up to $24,319 per year;
• A family of four with an income of up to $46,768.
To determine eligibility, applicants must provide the following to their local social services or energy services office:
• Proof of income for the past three months for all household members 18 years or older;
• Social Security cards for everyone in the household;
• Utility bills (heating and electric) for the past 12 months;
• If applicable, a rent certificate or landlord’s statement verifying that heat is included in the rent.
WHEAP applications are being accepted through May 15, 2012; New Richmond Utilities customers are encouraged to apply.
To begin the energy assistance application process, New Richmond Utilities customers and Saint Croix County residents may call the Saint Croix County Economic Support Unit at 715-246-8257 or visit their website at www.co.saint-croix.wi.us and click Departments / Economic Support / Programs.
All other applicants should call 866-432-8947 (toll free) or visit www.homeenergy plus.wi.gov for more information.