2012-13 school calendar setThe New Richmond Board of Education has announced that the 2012-13 school year will begin Sept. 4 and end June 7, 2013.
By: Jackie Grumish, New Richmond News
The New Richmond Board of Education has announced that the 2012-13 school year will begin Sept. 4 and end June 7, 2013.
At the regular meeting on March 19, board members approved the school calendar, which include a week off for Christmas and a week off for spring break.
The calendar is similar to the previous draft calendar, said Morrie Veilleux, district administrator. The only change to the recently approved calendar is that the last day of school, June 7, is now scheduled as an early out day.
“That way it’ll give teachers more time to clean up rooms and get things organized,” Veilleux said.
Christmas break is scheduled for Dec. 24-Jan. 1 and spring break is scheduled for the week of March 25.
“While it’s not ideal, spring break comes at the end of March,” Veilleux said.
Some parents might prefer that spring break be later in the spring; however, to accommodate Good Friday, the district was forced to have an early break for the 2012-13 school year.
“Moving spring break back would have pushed back the last day of school and also summer school,” Veilleux said.
To view the entire school calendar, visit www.newrichmond-news.com.
In other news, the school board:
• Approved the hiring of three reading coaches – Lindsay DeLany, K-2 literacy coach; Amy Fiege, 3-5 literacy coach; and Amy Almendinger, 6-12 literacy coach. The coaches will be responsible for working with individual teachers and classroom to help the district adjust to new core standards regarding English language arts. The district hired a similar position last year when Vicki Gjovik was hired as a math specialist to help the district adjust to new math standards.
• Approved the resignations of Denise Rondeau, high school food service; Sarah Fastelin, high school assistant forensics coach; and Michelle Riba, key club advisor.
• Approved the hiring of Garrett Fletch, high school assistant track coach; Mallory Fredrickson, middle school assistant track coach; Elizabeth Groboski, high school assistant forensics coach; and Joshua Hoff, high school assistant track coach.
• Approved 20 overnight chaperones for the sixth grade field trip, including Amanda Altmann, Michelle Ball, Bo Brandt, Doug Hatch, Joseph Hutter, Jeff Kanewischer, Lori Klinger, Cheryl Laux, Josh Martinson, Noreen Mason, Lynette McCarty, Brian Miller, Maryjo Peirson, Katelyn Peterson, Ashley Rauch, Linda Ruevers, Connie Roetzer, Tara Van Eperen and Josiah Wilson.
• Accepted a $2,500 accounting careers awareness grant from the Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants Education Foundation.
• Accepted a $264.40 donation from the United Methodist Church Youth Team.
• Accepted a $200 donation from the New Richmond Area Mom’s Group.
• Approved several youth options applications, totaling $11,618.92. Youth options allows high school students to enroll in college courses.
The next regular school board meeting is scheduled for April 23 at 7 p.m. at the district offices. The meetings are open to the public.