LETTER: 10 reasons to back BarrettIt saddens me that on June 5 an election is necessary. It is necessary because:
To the Editor:
It saddens me that on June 5 an election is necessary. It is necessary because:
1. Scott Walker has damaged our economy. He said he would create 250,000 jobs, but Wisconsin has lost jobs, not gained them. In fact, under Walker, Wisconsin has lost more jobs than any other state in the nation.
2. Scott Walker has fractured the social fabric in Wisconsin, making it a less decent, less humane place to live. “Dividing and conquering” our families and communities, he has given massive tax cuts to the very wealthy, while cutting essential services for working families and the poor. This is the same failed economic theory George W. Bush preached, which sent our economy into crisis, increased job loss, and ballooned our National Debt. He has divided us; now it is up to us whether or not he has conquered us.
3. Scott Walker is dishonest. He had promised to negotiate with Public employees, but instead said terms were “non-negotiable”. He then “dropped the bomb” (his words) of eliminating collective bargaining for public employees, a right so basic it is written in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
4. Scott Walker has repealed legislation that helped protect the rights of Women and Veterans in the workplace. He has also rejected federal funding for Veterans and for infrastructure, including an environmentally beneficial rail line, which would have created thousands of jobs.
5. If Walker stays in office things will get worse. As John Dean (a Nixon advisor who told the truth during the Watergate crisis) wrote recently about Walker, “To me, it is clear that Wisconsin has a double high authoritarian governor, a conservative without conscience. If I lived in Wisconsin, I would be uncomfortable with this man, whom I find more Nixonian than even Richard Nixon himself… “
In welcome contrast:
6. Tom Barrett is an honest, moderate and compassionate leader, with a strong record and vast experience. He is a product of Wisconsin – born, raised and educated here, serving honorably in the State Assembly, State Senate, U.S. Congress and as mayor of our largest city.
7. Tom Barrett listens, and as governor he will listen to workers and employers, helping both thrive.
8. Tom Barrett will protect the rights of women.
9. Tom Barrett will create jobs and protect our environment, working to find a sustainable balance between using our natural resources and protecting them for future generations.10. Tom Barrett will return Wisconsin to the values of decency and fairness, as we work for a strong future together.
Please vote for Tom Barrett on Tuesday, June 5.
St. Croix County