UPDATE: Shed destroyed following lightning strikeThe New Richmond Fire Department and Ambulance Service responded to a structure fire at around 1 p.m. Thursday, June 14.
The New Richmond Fire Department and Ambulance Service responded to a shed fire at around 1 p.m. Thursday, June 14.
Firefighters were on the scene of the blaze for about two hours, according to Fire Chief Jim VanderWyst.
VanderWyst said the shed was struck by a lightning bolt and it hit a propane line, which ignited the building. The nearby home was also struck by lightning but it was not seriously damaged.
"We saved that," VanderWyst said.
As storms blew through the area Thursday, the call went out that a structure was on fire on 118th Street near County Road C in the Town of Star Prairie. The home and shed was owned by Blake Peskar.
Smoke filled the air around the blaze as crews battled the situation. Firefighters were challenged as they fought the fire as hail the size of large marbles pelted them and heavy rains drenched them," VanderWyst said.
"We got hammered," VanderWyst said.
Peskar said he's grateful to the New Richmond and Somerset fire departments, law enforcement officers and EMTs that responded to the blaze and saved his house.
He also thanked a local electrician who stopped by to reconnect his home's power after the blaze was taken care of.