Can you hear me now? Village OKs tower inspectionThe Somerset Village Board decided to hire KLM Engineering Inc. to inspect its water tower as Sprint improves it’s antenna. Sprint leases the Somerset water tower as a place to mount its antenna.
By: Gretta Stark, New Richmond News
The Somerset Village Board decided to hire KLM Engineering Inc. to inspect its water tower as Sprint improves it’s antenna. Sprint leases the Somerset water tower as a place to mount its antenna. Sprint is planning antenna modification that would involve welding and some changes to the structure of the water tower railing system. The Village of Somerset Board decided to hire KLM Engineering in order to ensure the quality of the work. KLM Engineering is a Lake Elmo, Minn.-based company that specializes in water tower inspections.
KLM Engineering will work with Sprint to ensure the work will not have an adverse effect on the water tower, will recommend any modifications necessary to maintain the structural integrity of the water tower and will make follow-up inspections to ensure their recommendations are followed.
The total cost for this service will be around $8,200; however, the cost is to be paid by Sprint. The board approved the hiring of KLM Engineering provided Sprint agrees to repay the village for all expenses accrued by the village.
In other business:
• The Somerset Village Board heard the 2011 audit report. The general fund total balance was more than $656,000, but only $173,000 was unassigned, meaning the rest was assigned to be spent in a certain way.
• The board approved pay request No. 3 for the Shay Street lift station project in the amount of $20,427.29.
• The board approved a change order for the village park restroom project. The change order will allow electrical improvements to be made, giving the park electrical outlets with the proper wattage for use during events at the village park.
• The board approved pay request No. 4 for the police addition in the amount of $1,930.71. The village board also approved a payment of $6,128 for owner-direct purchase. The village purchased these materials directly rather than through the contractor, thereby saving the village money.
• The board accepted the state population estimate of 2,647 Somerset residents. This is an estimated net increase of 12 people.
• The village board directed the public works and public safety committees to find a permanent tuber pickup location for Apple River Hideaway.