LETTER: Questions remain concerning HighlandWisconsin has much to be proud of in the race to be energy efficient. For the calendar year of 2011 the Electric Provider Renewable Portfolio Standard Compliance for Wisconsin utilities has not just met the obligation for 2011, the standard for 2015 has been exceeded.
To the Editor:
Wisconsin has much to be proud of in the race to be energy efficient. For the calendar year of 2011 the Electric Provider Renewable Portfolio Standard Compliance for Wisconsin utilities has not just met the obligation for 2011, the standard for 2015 has been exceeded.
This information is cause for celebration and a time to pause and consider the actions which may not only threaten a growing industry but future development.
Currently Emerging Energies LLC (EE) of Hubertus, Wis. is pursuing a CPCN for the Highland Wind Farm in the Town of Forest, St. Croix County. EE has been surrounded by allegations of improper notifications to the public, undue influence of a political body, unethical business practices and questions surrounding the financial ability of EE to not only complete the project, but to decommission turbines.
EE sold 90 percent of the Shirley Wind Farm in Glenmore, Wis., to CH Hudson Corp. before it came online in 2010. Shirley was then sold to Duke Energy of North Carolina with EE selling its remaining 10 percent to Duke in 2011.
When questioned on Oct. 9, 2011, at the PSC technical hearing for the Highland Wind Farm about the mounting complaints and mitigations left unanswered and unresolved by EE at the Shirley Wind Farm, Jay Mundinger of EE stated that EE was no longer responsible for Shirley.
It is imperative that the PSC and state legislators work together to amend statutory language that allows merchant plant developments such as Emerging Energies LLC to circumvent the standards that a utility would be held to. Cost, efficiency and need are not considered and do not have to be proven in a merchant plant proposal thereby creating an unfair advantage and a predatory development market.
A Wisconsin badger will defend its family and home to the death against a predator, there are many such Badgers in the State of Wisconsin, are you one?