2013-14 school calendar takes shapeWith the 2012-13 school year not even half completed, the New Richmond Board of Education is already looking to the future.
By: By Jackie Grumish, New Richmond News
With the 2012-13 school year not even half completed, the New Richmond Board of Education is already looking to the future.
The school board discussed the 2013-14 school calendar at its regular meeting on Monday, Nov. 19.
Morrie Veilleux, district administrator, presented a calendar that mirrors the 2012-13 school calendar; however, he said it was just a starting point and that adjustments could, and likely would, be made.
Veilleux said it’s a bit early to be setting the schedule; however, it’s necessary so that staff can plan their July and August in-service dates.
The administrative team, including all building principals, will review the proposed calendar on Tuesday, Nov. 27, and additional staff will also be able to offer input before a final draft is presented to the school board.
In other business, the board:
• Discussed the replacement of light poles and lights at the district’s football field. Veilleux said an annual inspection of the six light poles revealed that two need to be replaced and the other four won’t last much longer. Bob Parent, the district’s supervisor of building and grounds, is exploring different options and will present them to the board at the December meeting, Veilleux said. Early estimates show the replacement could cost between $145,000 and $160,000. If the district chooses to upgrade the lights, the cost could be between $300,000 and $400,000, he said.
• Approved the resignations of Kristin Demulling, Community Education administrative assistant; Tim Russo, Community Education custodian; and Julia Webster, speech language pathologist at Hillside Elementary.
• Approved the hiring of Sarah Orthmeyer, special services paraeducator at the middle school; Ryan Abbott, powerlifting advisor/coach; Brian Anderson, high school assistant basketball C team coach; Shaun Bird, high school assistant wrestling coach; Troy Cran, powerlifting advisor/coach; Matthew Fastelin, high school assistant hockey coach; Joshua Fiege, high school assistant basketball girls coach; Brian Kaczmarski, powerlifting advisor/coach; Craig Kittel, high school assistant basketball boys coach; Justin Leverty, high school assistant wrestling coach; Brandon Paletta, powerlifting advisor/coach; Kelsey Rea, high school assistant hockey boys coach; James Stephens, high school assistant wrestling coach; Hillary Toulson, high school assistant hockey girls coach; and Tate Wheeler, high school assistant wrestling coach.
• Approved a contract adjustment for Jan Strandemo. The change reflects additional education Strandemo has completed.
• Approved the Educational Foundation of New Richmond’s Jack Reckord Star Grant Awards totaling $3,900.
* Approved a $500 donation from Fusion Metal Products Inc. for the High Mileage Vehicle team.
• Approved a $500 donation from Federal Foam Technologies for the High Mileage Vehicle team.
• Approved a $1,300 donation from Walmart for classroom books at Paperjack Elementary.