Glenwood City Council hosts annexation discussionThe Glenwood City Council held an impromptu informational meeting Monday night at the Community Center to hear a presentation by township resident Scott Teigen and his attorney, Anders Helquist of Weld, Riley, Prenn & Ricci SC.
By: By Tom Lindfors, New Richmond News
The Glenwood City Council held an impromptu informational meeting Monday night at the Community Center to hear a presentation by township resident Scott Teigen and his attorney, Anders Helquist of Weld, Riley, Prenn & Ricci SC.
Shari Rosenow, city clerk, speaking on behalf of Glenwood City Mayor John Larson, said Teigen is interested in “seeing if the city would be receptive to possibly annexing his property into the city corporate limits.”
An application submitted Jan. 7 by Vista Sand LLC of Granbury, Texas, to establish a frac sand mine and processing operation on Teigen’s property is currently under review by the St. Croix County Planning and Zoning Department. Public records indicate of the 567-acre proposed site, 70 percent is owned by Teigen and the remaining 30 percent by members of the Robert and Velma Crosby family.
Local residents living near Teigen’s property have expressed concern regarding the environmental and human health impacts of a frac sand mine on a local school and an assisted living facility in the vicinity of the proposed mining operation.
Chris and Deanna Schone live within a half-mile of the proposed site and were among a large contingent of concerned residents who attended Monday night’s meeting.
“They were trying to rush this hush meeting through,” Chris Schone said. The Schones and others fear that should the city decide to annex Teigen’s property, they would lose all protection afforded them by the restrictive nonmetallic mining ordinance enforced by St. Croix County.
St. Croix Zoning Specialist Alex Blackburn confirmed that should Teigen’s property be annexed by the City of Glenwood, the restrictive St. Croix County non-metallic mining ordinances that would normally govern Teigen’s property would be superseded by less restrictive city ordinances.
The St. Croix County Zoning Department is scheduled to meet with representatives from Vista next Thursday, March 7, to discuss a number of details that so far have rendered their application incomplete. The St. Croix Board of Adjustment is scheduled to meet Thursday, March 28.
As of Monday night, according to Rosenow, “No formal annexation request has been submitted to the city and no action was taken following Monday night’s meeting.”