Rural Eau Claire man dies from hornet stingA rural Eau Claire man has died from an allergic reaction after being stung by a hornet.
A rural Eau Claire man has died from an allergic reaction after being stung by a hornet.
Tom Ertz, 51, was pounding nails on the porch of his home when he was stung on Saturday.
His wife Kathy said he got short of breath and fell to his knees.
She ran to get a kit to keep his allergy to shellfish in check, and then she called authorities.
The first sheriff’s deputy on the scene tried to revive Ertz. But he was later pronounced dead at an Eau Claire hospital.
According to a national allergy group, at least 40 Americans die each year from reactions caused by stings from insects.