Fire heavily damages North Hudson home
A house fire at 706 Monroe St. No. in North Hudson Friday afternoon did heavy damage to a single story home.
A person who identified himself as Matt Nicolai said he lived in the home and was taking a shower. When he came out of the shower, he smelled smoke and heard "popping and cracking" in the ceiling. He immediately called the fire department.
He said the fire appeared to be in the area around a chimney above a wood stove. Nicolai said his girl friend had left Friday morning for New Jersey
"We've been using the stove for five years and never had a problem," he said. "We do the yearly maintenance."
Smoke was billowing from the roof of the structure when fire fighters arrived on the scene at about 12:45 p.m. The air temperature at the time was about 3 to 5 degrees below zero. Other departments called to the scene included town of St. Joseph and Lower St. Croix Valley. The River Falls Fire Department was called to man the Hudson Fire Station.
Property records indicate the home is owned by Jennifer Coughlin. Fire fighters were still on the scene at mid-afternoon Friday.