The Somerset High School music department will have a large number of musicians competing at the Wisconsin School Music Association state level in the upcoming weeks.
Somerset had a total of 42 solos and small ensembles perform at the district festival in Webster on April 4. Thirty-five of those were Class A entries, which qualifies them for state competition with a 1* rating. (Maximum of 3 points off on the rubric). Fifteen of those events will be going on to the state festival on Saturday, May 6, and two of the Somerset students achieved "Best in Site" awards, "Best in Site" means that the judge they performed for picked their event as the best thing they heard throughout the day's festival.
The following students will be attending State Solo and Ensemble in Eau Claire on May 6:
• Cade Colbeth - Bass Solo (Best in Site);
• Kayla Huerta - Soprano Solo (Best in Site);
• Jeanette Newberg - Soprano Solo;
• Nikki Quaderer - Alto Solo and Musical Theater Solo;
• Kennedi Kjellberg - Musical Theater Solo;
• Mara Erickson - Alto Solo;
• Zeb Rivard - Bass Solo and Musical Theater Solo;
• Connor Darrow - Trumpet Solo;
• Anna Pasno - Alto Solo and Musical Theater Solo;
• Jacob Wright - Bass Solo;
• Stephen Peterson, Logan Brawford and Jacob Wright - TTB Trio;
• Eli Anderson - Bass Solo.
Both the Somerset High School band and concert choir performed Class A level pieces and received a 1 rating at the recent concert festival.There is no state competition for this festival, so they achieved the highest possible rating.
The jazz band performed Class B level pieces and received a rating of a 1 at the Jazz/Swing Festival. The Somerset show choir performed Class A level pieces (more difficult and with the ability to attend state with an excellent score) and received a 1*, so are going to state on May 6.