NR schools plan $429,000 in projects
A portion of New Richmond Middle School's roof needs replacement, but district officials hope to put the project off for another year to catch up on other needs.
"Bob (Parent) will do some patching to keep it another year," Brian Johnston told the school board on Monday night. "We were going to replace it this year but Bob said he'd rather do a lot of the little things he's been putting off and do the roof over the next two years."
The roof project is expected to cost $600,000 between the 2013-14 and 2014-15 school years.
There are 40 capital projects slated for the 2012-13 school year. Project prices range from $300 to replace 20 lighting fixtures at New Richmond Middle School next year to $68,000 to add pavers to the sidewalk areas of New Richmond High School.
The majority of the 2012-13 projects are slated for Paperjack Elementary. The 12 repairs scheduled at that school range from repairing/replacing lunch tables to repairing the school's front steps.
"You think of the lunch tables and you have to realize that some of those are about 20 years old," Johnston told the board. "Parts aren't being made anymore for some of them."
At New Richmond Middle School 11 projects are scheduled. Some of the projects district officials are planning include seal coating the north parking lot, upgrading the ticket booth and installing kick plates on the inside door bottoms.
Projects at Starr Elementary include the repairing of pavement on the bus drop off area and replacing a playground slide.
At New Richmond High School the $68,000 paver project is the only project scheduled.
Passenger vans and floor equipment are slated for replacement at the district maintenance shop, along with applying a sealcoat on the roof of the maintenance building.
District-wide, computers will be replaced, along with various office equipment.
No projects are planned at Hillside Elementary until the 2014-15 school year, when the district plans to replace the carpet on the media center step.
"It's a lot of small items that add up to $429,000," Johnston said. "It's about what we spend every year."
For a complete list of projects slated in the district, see www.newrichmond-news.com.
In other news, the board:
* Discussed the 2012-13 school calendar. Morrie Veilleux, district administrator, said the current draft shows a start date of Sept. 4 and an end date of June 7. Also included in the draft are a week off for Christmas and a week off (March 25-29) for spring break.
"It's pretty much the same as last year," he said.
Some of the spring sports coaches have expressed concern with the placement of spring break; however, having it the last week in March (overlapping with Good Friday) seems to work best. Moving it to earlier in March and including Good Friday as a day off would require the school year to go later into June and therefore push back the start of summer school, among other things, Veilleux said.
District officials plan to discuss the calendar more before presenting a final draft to the board in March. To see the most current draft of the 2012-13 school calendar, visit www.newrich mond-news.com.
* Approved the resignation of Gene Mireau, high school custodian, and Damian Freyre, middle school Forensics coach.
* Approved the hiring of Denise Devereux, EIS paraprofessional at Hillside Elementary; Darla Fehlen, long-term special services paraprofessional substitute; Travis Moon, food delivery driver; Tracey Boyle, high school assistant soccer coach; Garrett Fletch, high school assistant track coach; Mallory Fredrickson, middle school Science Olympiad coach; Travis Gibson, high school assistant baseball coach; Gabe Henk, high school assistant track coach; Josh Hoff, high school assistant track coach; Layne Kelley, high school assistant track coach; Paul Kittel, high school assistant baseball coach; Dan Kretovics, high school assistant baseball coach; Dave Lacktorin, high school assistant girls' soccer coach; John Larson, high school assistant boys' golf coach; Mike Morissey, high school assistant baseball coach; Grant Nelson, high school assistant baseball coach; Savanah Oeltjen, high school assistant softball coach; Katelyn Peterson, middle school Forensics coach; Michael Peterson, high school assistant softball coach; Luis Sanchez, high school assistant tennis coach; Matthew Schmitz, high school assistant baseball coach; Frank Segerstrom, high school assistant tennis coach; Nikki Singerhouse, high school assistant softball coach; Ryan Stowers, high school assistant track coach.
* Accepted a $500 donation from greatmats.com for the third-grade classes at Hillside Elementary to buy non-fiction informational books for their classrooms.
* Accepted a $500 donation from Isometric Tool & Design, Inc. to the Powerlifting Team.
* Approved the 2013 High School Spanish Major Magnitude Field Trip to Guatemala and Belize. There are currently five adults and 15 students planning to take the trip, which will cost about $2,460 per person.
* Approved the retirement of Lynnete McCarty, sixth grade teacher.
The New Richmond School Board meets at 7 p.m. the third Monday of every month in the Community Room of the district office. The next meeting is scheduled for March 19. The public is welcome to attend.