Village of Hammond board passes motion to support new library
The Hammond Village Board spent almost two hours, according to meeting minutes, discussing a series of motions on its Monday, March 27, regular board meeting agenda, including throwing its support behind the library’s plan to build a new library.
According to a survey conducted by the Hammond Community Library, 60 percent of patrons were in favor of building a new library. Library director Michelle Johnson and library assistant Jayne Wenberg will also become notaries to better serve the library patrons, which was a suggestion on the library’s survey.
The board passed a motion during the meeting to support the library’s plan to build a new library at the Village Park, which was previously approved by the board in 2012.Property line issue
Another item discussed by the board was a property line issue regarding the property at 820 Davis St., Andy’s Saloon/the Hammond Hotel. It was recently discovered that the building is 14 inches onto village property. After discussion, the board approved a motion to deed the 14 inches over to the property owners at their expense and have the owners widen the existing sidewalk to 8 feet, contingent on the Board of Appeals approving the variance for the front porch.Other business
- The board approved a motion to approve installing a new front entry door at the fire hall at a cost of $3,500.
- The board approved a motion to contract with Midwest Testing for Cross Connection Inspections, contingent on the village attorney approving the wording of the contract.
- The board approved a motion to not renew contract for lot mowing and to have public works do it.
- The board approved a motion to discontinue the ice rink, after hearing the results of a survey conduct on the subject.
- The board approved a motion to have the village attorney draft an ordinance putting a two-year moratorium on the impact fees.
- The board approved a motion to approve the procedures and flow chart as presented.
- Attorney Scott informed the board he has been working with the mobile home park owner. Motion by Trustee Benton to have the building inspector assess a mobile home at the Wolf Street Mobile Home Park and report back with a value to improve report and to start the raze procedures at the next board meeting.
- The board approved a motion to approve a pair of special event permit applications by the Hammond Community Library for Aug. 9 and 12.