Weather Forecast


Letter: IRS needs help contacting taxpayers

To the Editor:

Starting in May, economic stimulus payments of up to $600 for individuals ($1,200 for married couples) will be issued by the IRS based on 2007 tax returns. Parents also get $300 for each eligible child.

Most people only have to file their 2007 individual income tax return to receive their payment. We'll do the rest.

But the IRS needs help reaching millions of people who are usually exempt from filing. People who have at least $3,000 from wages or certain benefits from Social Security, Railroad Retirement and Veterans Affairs may be eligible for a stimulus payment this year.

A special mailing will reach around 320,000 recipients of Social Security and Veterans' benefits in Wisconsin, but there are still many low-wage workers who could qualify for the payments.

If you know a senior citizen, a veteran, or a neighbor with a low-income, please reach out and urge them to file a tax return this year so that they will get their payment along with the rest of us.

For more information, visit the IRS web site at and click on Rebate Questions?

Christopher Miller

Internal Revenue Service