Jordan Willi is a reporter for the New Richmond News. Previously, he worked as a sports reporter at the Worthington Daily Globe in Worthington, Minnesota. He also interned at the Hudson Star Observer for two summers and contributed to the Bison Illustrated sports magazine at North Dakota State University.
- Member for
- 4 years 1 month
After coming on staff in June, and giving his first sermon as lead pastor on July 2, First Baptist Church's Craig Morris feels like things couldn't be going better at his new church.
There are 1,200 cases of Shaken Baby Syndrome, or abusive head trauma, a year in the United States, according to St. Croix County Public Health Nurse Sue Lindberg. Shaken Baby Syndrome causes permanent brain damage due to bleeding in the brain. SBS leads to death in 25 percent of the cases and various degrees of brain damage and disability in the remaining 75 percent. Because of this, and because students learn in a wide variety of ways, the St. Croix County Citizen Review Panel decided to donate Shaken Baby Syndrome dolls to all of the school districts in St. Croix County.
The Somerset School District approved a tax levy for the 2017-2018 school year of $5,260,942, which is an increase of 3.37 percent from last year. The projected mill rate will be $9.49 per $1,000 value, which is down from $9.92 per $1,000 of property valuation from 2016-2017. District residents also heard the enrollment report, which showed a 28-student decrease in the district from 2016-2017. The previous two years (2014-2015 and 2016-2017) also saw decreases in the student population, but those decreases were three and five students respectively.
The St. Croix Central Board of Education heard a series of reports from administration staff during its Monday, Sept. 25 regular school board meeting and also approved a pair of readings of board policy.
A 25-year-old man was taken into custody Friday morning, Sept. 29, after New Richmond police responded to a call of a domestic disturbance involving a firearm in the 1600 block of Gunston Drive, according to a news release. The call came in around 8:35 a.m.
Following a closed session discussion of the matter at its Sept. 18 school board meeting, the New Richmond Board of Education authorized the initiation of litigation in an effort to recover costs associated with the repairs of the sprinkler system at the high school. District Administrator Patrick Olson said the following about the situation in an email response to the News:
With every new school year comes changes in every school district. In Somerset, the 2017-2018 school year marks the first year of the district's recently adopted five-year strategic plan.
On Tuesday, Sept. 26, the Somerset Community Foundation will hold its second Rivers + Roads listening session at noon at the Somerset Senior Center. "There are two strategic planning processes that have been started in Somerset over the last year: one of those was the school and the other one is called Bridging Somerset," said Community Foundation member Kym Dunleap. "That is the town, the village and the chamber. The chamber actually initiated the planning process and brought in all of those groups, as well as the Community Foundation."
The Somerset School District will welcome more than nine new staff members to its roster for the 2017-18 school year. St. Anne's will also add two new staff members, while one staff member will be taking on a new role this school year. To help you identify the new faces out and about in the community, the following are brief profiles and photographs of each new Somerset and St. Anne staff members. Keaton Anderson Age: 24 Family: Fiancée, Rachel McConnon; mother, Melissa Anderson; father, Todd Anderson; sister, Morgan Anderson
For the first time since the 1870s, a business other than the Hammond Hotel is open at the main intersection of highways 12 and T in the Village of Hammond. Cheap Andy's Saloon, a bar and restaurant, held its grand opening event on Saturday, Sept. 9, after holding a soft opening earlier in the week. Although the old structure might have been demolished in April, Cheap Andy's owner Andrew Schmitz made a point to incorporate as much of the old building into the new restaurant as possible.