St. Croix Central School District Board of Education
Board Learning and Special Meeting Minutes - Unapproved
Monday, August 6, 2018
6:30 P.M. SCC District Office, 915 Davis Street, Hammond
District Vision: Be a district respected by others as a model of excellence in student achievement.
District Mission: To prepare our students with exceptional character, knowledge and skills to thrive in their changing world.
1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Howard Kruschke at 6:30 p.m.
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Roll Call: Members present included Scott DeGross, John Hueg, Howard Kruschke, David Olsen, Jeff Redmon, and Tricia Rogers. Kirk Lyksett was absent. Staff members present included Head Girls' Golf Coach Logan Kimberly, High School Principal Kurt Soderberg, Director of Student Services Pat Basche and Superintendent Tim Widiker. Community member Nic Been was in attendance as well as Senator Patty Schachtner.
4. Report of Meeting Notification: Superintendent Widiker reported that the meeting was properly noticed.
5. Comments by Board Members and Superintendent:
a. President Howard Kruschke reminded the members of the August 7th WASB "Fundamentals of Effective School Boards" workshop at CESA 11 in Turtle Lake from 6:30-9:00 p.m.
b. Superintendent Tim Widiker notified the Board that SCC was the successful recipient of the full $32,612 requested through the DOJ School Safety Grant application.
c. John Hueg thanked the District for being excellent hosts to a couple of Drum and Bugle Corps over the years, most recently the Gold Drum and Bugle Corp last week.
d. Lastly, Head Girls' Golf Coach Logan Kimberly presented to the Board a request for an additional golf coach. Today was the first day of practice and there are twenty-one golfers as compared to 13 last year. The Board listened and decided to place the matter on the August 20th agenda for consideration.
6. Scheduled Presentations by Guests and Staff Members:
a. Board Discussion with Senator Patty Schachtner President Kruschke introduced Senator Schachtner. She spoke about various grants, the Youth Risk Behavior Survey, addiction, student safety, drugs and trades programs in the schools. When asked what questions the Board had, the discussion shifted to school funding, revenue limits, referenda and vouchers. The Board reiterated to Senator Schachtner that the most important topic we would like her to advocate for is school funding, specifically the revenue limit. Currently, SCC has a revenue limit of $9,511 per pupil. The statewide average is $10,355 per pupil. The three-year rolling average pupil count used in the revenue limit worksheet for SCC is 1,554 students. That equates to a $1.3 million dollar annual gap. The Board's request was, "Please help get us to the average. We could do a lot of great things for our students if we had $1.3 million more per year."
7. Consideration of Consent Agenda:
a. Approval of Bi-Monthly Bills for August 2018Exhibit 7a
b. Approval of Resignations and Retirements
i. Chris BuckelSwimming Lessons Supervising Teacher July 18, 2018
ii. Jonalee Buckel Swimming Lessons Supervising Teacher July 18, 2018
iii. David LayJV Baseball Coach August 1, 2018
c. Approval of Appointments and Contract Modifications
i. Ty Ketz 1 FTE HS Physical Ed/Health Teacher August 7, 2018
ii. Lyndia Hanson 1 FTE 6th Grade Teacher (1-Year Contract) August 7, 2018
iii. Lisa Shields 8 Hr. Elementary School Nurse August 7, 2018
iv. Nic Been 1 FTE Director of Teaching and Learning August 6, 2018
v. Autumn Voigt5-10 Hrs/Wk Virtual School Counselor August 7, 2018
d. Approval of Curricular Modifications Requests for Students to Enroll in Full-Time and Part-Time Virtual Courses for 2018-19 There was one part-time application presented.
A motion was made by Director Redmon and seconded by Director Olsen to approve the consent agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Key Work of Our School Board:
a. Consideration of Revision to 2018-19 School Calendar - Superintendent Widiker explained that the previously approved calendar included an all-staff Professional Development day on Friday September 21st. However, September 21st is the 3rd Friday in September Pupil Count date. He asked the Board to approve moving the Professional Development day to Friday, October 5th instead and to have a regular day of classes on Friday, September 21st. A motion was made by Director Olsen and seconded by Director Hueg to approve the 2018 Calendar change as presented. Motion carried unanimously. Exhibit 8a
b. Update on Standards Based Assessments and Reporting at the High School - High School Principal Kurt Soderberg presented an update on Standards Based Assessment and Reporting at the High School. He is preparing an informational video tutorial to publish on the District YouTube Channel.
9. Core Agenda Items: Nothing at this time.
a. Reminder to Submit Thank You and Recognition Nominees on Google Doc
11. Important Upcoming Dates:
a. August 20, 2018 New Staff and Mentor Professional Development Day
b. August 20, 2018 SCC School Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
c. August 22, 2018 Open House from Noon to 8:00 p.m.
d. August 29, 2018 All Staff Professional Development Day
e. September 10, 2018 SCC Board Learning and Special Meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
f. September 24, 2018 SCC School Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
g. September 27, 2018 WASB Fall Regional Meeting 6:00 p.m. in Eau Claire, WI
12. Convene to Closed Session: - A motion was made by Director Olsen and seconded by Director DeGross to convene to closed session. All ayes by roll call vote. Time: 8:55 p.m.
a. Per WI State Statute 19.85(1)(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.
i. Superintendent Performance Review
ii. Staff Employment Update
13. Return to Open Session: - The Board returned to open session at 9:44 p.m. No one joined the meeting.
14. Announce Any Action Taken in Closed Session if Appropriate: No announcement was made.
15. Adjournment A motion was made by Director Olsen and seconded by Director DeGross to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Time: 9:45 p.m.
Jeff Redmon, School Board Clerk
______________________________________________________________________ (Pub. 08/30/18) WNAXLP