St. Croix Central School District Board of Education
Board Learning and Special Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 10, 2018
6:30 P.M. SCC District Office, 915 Davis Street, Hammond
District Vision: Be a district respected by others as a model of excellence in student achievement.
District Mission: To prepare our students with exceptional character, knowledge and skills to thrive in their changing world.
1. Call to Order - The meeting was called to order by President Kruschke at 6:30 p.m.
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Roll Call - Members present included Tricia Rogers, Jeff Redmon, Howard Kruschke, John Hueg and David Olsen (8:12 p.m.) Kirk Lyksett and Scott DeGross were absent. Staff present included Superintendent Tim Widiker, High School Principal Kurt Soderberg, High School Assistant Principal/Activities Director Jason Koele, Middle School Principal Pete Nusbaum, Middle School Assistant Principal/Activities Director Chance Langeness, Elementary Principal Shelly Clay, Elementary Assistant Principal Lindsay Jacobs, Director of Student Services Pat Basche, Director of Teaching and Learning Nic Been, Auditorium Director Randall Pfeifer, and High School Counselors Tracy Klein and Jeff Fern. Also present until 6:50 p.m. was Hammond Chief of Police Rick Coltrain.
4. Report of Meeting Notification - Superintendent Widiker reported that the meeting was properly noticed.
5. Comments by Board Members and Superintendent Director Hueg recognized and thanked the Board for their work on the Superintendent Evaluation per Board Policy. President Kruschke also thanked the Board for their work on the evaluation process.
6. Scheduled Presentations by Guests and Staff Members
a. Auditorium Usage Update by Auditorium Director Randy Pfeifer - Randy Pfeifer presented a slideshow presentation on the SCC Community Auditorium. He reviewed the performances and usage from the past year, presented the upcoming performances and presented information on attendance and outside revenues created. He also updated the Board on the status of a few remaining construction issues which are being remediated and finished with a list of equipment upgrades and additions over the next seven years. Superintendent Widiker commented on the great investment the Board made in hiring an Auditorium Manager and more specifically how Randy Pfeifer has far exceeded expectations. Randy has taken responsibility of all facets of the auditorium and has loaned SCC much of his own lighting equipment. The Board joined in thanking Randy for a job well done.
b. CounterACT Grant - Hammond Chief of Police Rick Coltrain - Chief Coltrain took a phone call and had to leave at 6:50 p.m. so he was not able to present.
c. Board Discussion with Representative Rob Stafsholt - Representative Rob Stafsholt had a dialogue with the Board and Superintendent regarding school funding, vouchers, teacher licensing and CTE. The Board and Representative Stafsholt mutually thanked each other for their willingness to keep an ongoing dialogue.
7. Consideration of Consent Agenda
a. Approval of Bi-Monthly Bills for September 2018 Exhibit 7a
b. Approval of Resignations and Retirements
i. Jackie Palmer MS Head Volleyball Coach September 22, 2018
ii. Pat Hook MS Track & Field Asst. Coach August 28, 2018
iii. Garret Wenzel HS Spring Strength & Conditioning-Advisor August 27, 2018
iv. Matt Langman C-Team Boys Basketball Coach August 28, 2018
c. Approval of Appointments and Contract Modifications
i. Kathryn Oakland MS Head Volleyball Coach September 4, 2018
ii. Pat Hook MS Head Track & Field Coach September 11, 2018
iii. Cara RubisMS Head Volleyball Coach September 11, 2018
iv. Cassie Cable 7 Hrs. Elementary Special Education Para September 4, 2018
d. Approval of Curricular Modifications Requests for Students to Enroll in Full-Time and Part-Time Virtual Courses for 2018-19 - President Kruschke presented one full-time student and 23 part-time students for approval.
Director Redmon made a motion to approve the consent agenda and it was seconded by Director Olsen. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Administrative Reports
a. 2018-19 District Priorities - Superintendent Widiker, Elementary Principal Clay, Middle School Principal Nusbaum and High School Principal Soderberg presented an overview of the 18-19 overall Administrative Priorities and corresponding building action plans. The three district priorities (Big 3) include 1) Academic Achievement, 2) Student Climate and 3) Adult Culture. The team will follow up by presenting the detailed plans at an October board meeting.
b. Open House Parent Survey - Superintendent Widiker shared the Open House Survey feedback from parents/guardians. There were 273 responses. Superintendent Widiker is compiling a summary of the results and action plans for the next Open House that he will share with the parents/guardians by the end of the week.
9. Key Work of Our School Board
a. Update and Discussion on High School Programs and Test Results by High School Principal Soderberg, High School Assistant Principal/Activities Director Koele and High School Counselors Jeff Fern and Tracy Klein - The group shared data regarding Day 1, Early College Credit (Youth Options), Youth Apprenticeship, AP Results, ACT Results, PBIS Data, and Athlete and Extra-Curricular participation numbers.
10. Core Agenda Items Nothing at this time
a. WASB Fall Regional Meeting Howard Kruschke, Jeff Redmon and John Hueg will be attending.
b. Reminder to Submit Thank You and Recognition Nominees on Google Doc
12. Important Upcoming Dates
a. September 24, 2018 SCC School Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
b. September 27, 2018 WASB Fall Regional Meeting 6:00 p.m. in Eau Claire, WI
c. October 1, 2018 SCC Board Learning and Special Meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
13. Convene to Closed Session - A motion was made by Director Olsen and seconded by Director Redmon to move to closed session. All ayes by roll call vote.
a. Per WI State Statute 19.85(1)(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.
i. Consideration of Waiving Liquidated Damages
14. Return to Open Session - The Board returned to open session at 9:44 p.m. No one joined the meeting.
15. Announce Any Action Taken in Closed Session if Appropriate No announcement was made.
16. Adjournment A motion was made by Director Olsen and seconded by Director Redmon to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Time: 9:45 p.m.
Jeff Redmon, School Board Clerk
______________________________________________________________________ (Pub. 10/11/18) WNAXLP