St. Croix Central School District Board of Education
Board Learning and Special Meeting Minutes - Unapproved
Monday, May 6, 2019
6:30 P.M. SCC District Office, 915 Davis Street, Hammond
District Vision: Be a district respected by others as a model of excellence in student achievement.
District Mission: To prepare our students with exceptional character, knowledge and skills to thrive in their changing world.
1. Call to Order - The meeting was called to order by President Howard Kruschke at 6:36 p.m.
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Roll Call - Members present included Scott DeGross, John Hueg, Howard Kruschke, David Olsen (6:56 p.m.), Jeff Redmon, and Tricia Rogers (7:18 p.m.) Absent: Kirk Lyksett. Others in attendance included Director of Teaching and Learning Nic Been, Director of Student Services Pat Basche, Elementary Assistant Principal Lindsay Jacobs, High School Principal Kurt Soderberg, High School Assistant Principal/Activities Director Jason Koele, Middle School Principal Pete Nusbaum (7:01 p.m.), Middle School Assistant Principal /Activities Director Chance Langeness, Superintendent Tim Widiker (6:58 p.m.), and WASB Director John Ashley.
4. Report of Meeting Notification President Kruschke reported that the meeting was properly noticed.
5. Comments by Board Members and Superintendent
a. Support Staff Meet and Confer Meeting Update - The Support Staff Meet and Confer Committee met with paraprofessionals, custodians/maintenance and cooks. Director DeGross gave an overview on some items brought before the committee from support staff which included compensation for inclement weather days, bollards at the middle school which make it difficult for snow removal, professional development and job descriptions.
b. Wage and Benefit Committee Meeting Update Director Redmon reported that the committee informed the staff of the 2.44% wage increase for next year which includes a $650 base wage increase for all teachers and an additional amount of $600-$1,200 for teachers who completed 3-6 credits or 3-6-credit equivalents. He also gave an overview of the meeting held earlier in the evening at the high school. At that meeting, First Financial representatives presented an option to the current 403(b) plan. Secondly, Business Manager Jen Kleschold, Superintendent Widiker, and the Wage and Benefit Committee members presented an updated Alternative Compensation plan that they have been working on for the last six months. Director Redmon and Director Hueg gave an overview of the plan to the other Board members in attendance.
6. Scheduled Presentations by Guests and Staff Members
a. WASB Executive Director John Ashley Presents 20 Year-Service Award to Director Jeff Redmon WASB Executive Director John Ashley presented an award to Director Jeff Redmon for 20 years of service on the SCC School Board. The Board asked for an update regarding the Biennial Budget, which he provided along with his thoughts on the needed support for education.
b. GEDO2 Program Presentation with Students and Teacher Kamen Flanders - One requirement for the GEDO2 program is public speaking. Two students, Noah Viebrock and Coral Gronquist, did a biographical presentation and a brief Q & A with the Board and administration. They did an outstanding job.
7. Consideration of Consent Agenda
a. Approval of Bi-Monthly Bills for May 2019 Exhibit 7a
b. Approval of Resignations and Retirements
i. Zach Turpin 1 FTE High School Math Teacher June 7, 2019
ii. Zach TurpinAssistant Football Coach June 7, 2019
iii. Pam O'Donnell 3 Hr. Middle School Assistant Cook #2 June 7, 2019
c. Approval of Appointments and Contract Modifications
i. Cassie Evans 1 FTE 2nd Grade Teacher August 19, 2019
ii. Julie Becker 1 FTE 2nd Grade Teacher August 19, 2019
iii. Jeremy Gibson Assistant Football Coach April 7, 2019
iv. Adam Sheldon Assistant Football Coach April 7, 2019
d. Approval of Curricular Modifications Requests for Students to Enroll in Full-Time and Part-Time Virtual Courses for 2018-19 - Three part-time applications were presented for approval.
A motion was made by Director Redmon and seconded by Director Olsen to approve the consent agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Administrative Reports - Nothing at this time.
9. Key Work of Our School Board
a. Consideration of Approval of Communication Planning Committee's Recommendation for Communication Plan - Director Hueg gave an update on the Committee's recommendation to contract with Kidder Media to publish one newsletter on a trial basis. The cost is $3,900 for up to 4,200 box holders includes a 4-page newsletter. Their services include the writing, photography, layout and printing. The only additional cost to the District is for the mailing which will not exceed $0.18 cents per newsletter. A motion was made by Director Hueg and seconded by Director Rogers to approve the trial newsletter for $3,900. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Core Agenda Items
a. Appointment of Representative to the 2019 CESA 11 Annual Convention - A motion was made by Director Redmon and seconded by Director Olsen to approve Howard Kruschke as the CESA 11 Annual Convention Representative. Motion carried unanimously. Exhibit 10a
a. Reminder to Submit Thank You and Recognition Nominees on Google Doc
b. Staff Appreciation Breakfast on Wednesday, May 8th Exhibit 11b
c. SCC Staff Recognition and Retirement Event on Friday, May 17th Exhibit 11c
d. President Kruschke informed the Board that he and Superintendent Widiker sent Jakob Eggen a congratulatory letter regarding his recent achievement of the rank of Eagle Scout.
e. President Kruschke reminded the Board that there is a WASB Legal Workshop at CESA 11 on May 8th.
12. Important Upcoming Dates
a. May 17, 2019 - 2019 Staff Recognition and Retirement Event at 2:30 p.m. in the SCC High School Commons
b. May 20, 2019 - Communication Planning Committee Meeting at 6:00 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
c. May 20, 2019 - SCC School Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. in the SCC District Office at 915 Davis Street, Hammond
d. May 24, 2019 - SCC Graduation Ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in the Thomas Sempf High School Gym
13. Convene to Closed Session - A motion was made by Director DeGross and seconded by Director Hueg to convene to closed session. All ayes by roll call vote. Time: 7:32 p.m.
a. Per WI State Statute 19.85(1)(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.
i. Teacher Evaluation Process and Data
14. Return to Open Session - The Board returned to open session at 10:41 p.m. No one joined the meeting.
15. Announce Any Action Taken in Closed Session if Appropriate - No announcement was made.
16. Adjournment - A motion was made by Director Olsen and seconded by Director Redmon to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Time: 10:42 p.m.
Jeff Redmon, School Board Clerk
______________________________________________________________________ (Pub. 05/23/19) WNAXLP